Sales talent is the life blood of your promotional product business. Great sales reps can boost your revenue, build your brand, and win huge orders. We all know that great reps are critical to success, but how do you get them on your team?
The first step is to make your business attractive to them. You can attract great sales reps and staff by building a strong reputation, creating a business that is easy to root for, and delivering on your promises.
Here are 8 simple things you can do to help attract top talent to your promotional product business:
- Treat your sales reps and staff with respect, honest, and fairness. The culture of your company matters. It can either draw great people to your business or repel them.
- Be a servant leader—you and your business exist to support your sales reps and their clients. Providing flexible solutions is a win for everyone and will get you referrals.
- Avoid use of non-compete agreements. Either you trust your sales reps or you don’t. You have to earn their trust and loyalty with every order. Hiding behind a non-compete agreement allows your business to provide substandard support and compensation, and forces your sales reps to put up with it. While your lawyer may insist on these agreements, they are bad for business in the long run.
- Be good to your suppliers. This group can either refer new sales reps and staff to your business or tell them to stay far, far away.
- Deliver on your promises and partnerships. It’s one thing to talk about how you will work with someone. It’s another thing to deliver as promised. Your reputation is a huge part of the company culture will attract new sales reps.
- Pay your bills and commissions on time. There’s no better way to create loyalty and win fans for your business. Loyal fans will tell their friends and new reps will follow.
- Communicate often with everyone involved with your business. No one likes surprises, but they do respect owners who tell the truth in good times and in bad. Honesty and transparency are a prerequisite in today’s business environment.
- Be loyal to your team and they will return that loyalty. They will also help you build your business so it will be around for the long run.
These tactics aren’t difficult and should really be common practice. However, you ‘d be amazed at how many businesses fall short. Their failure is your opportunity!
Now that you know how to attract top talent to your business, where do you find that talent?