Big orders, career changing orders, usually require some sort of face-to-face meeting. With much at stake email will simply not do. Presentations are the way to go if you absolutely, positively must win a big order. However, standing in front of a professional audience can be intimidating. Follow these 10 simple tips and you’ll greatly improve your presentation skills and your chances of winning that big order!
- Preparation matters! Know your material, know your audience, and know what questions or objections might come up.
- Dress to impress. If you don’t look like an expert, you’re already in the hole.
- Don’t rely on live demos. If you’re presenting an online store, always use screenshots. The number one guideline with technology is that it will always fail at the worst possible time.
- Don’t rely on call-in participants. If you can’t be in the room for the presentation then butt out. Bad reception, missed calls, calling at the wrong time and loud background noise are just a few of the problems you can create when you call in.
- Avoid text-filled slides. Images can capture the imagination. Use them liberally.
- If PowerPoint is your game, keep it under 20 slides.
- Be repetitive! Tell them. Tell them what you told them. Then summarize what you told them.
- Keep your audience focused on you. You and what you are saying are the only things that matter. Handouts are a big distraction and can wait until later.
- Interject your personality. Robots can regurgitate information. Be a human and make a connection with your audience.
- Know who the real decision maker is and find a way to connect with him or her.
What other tips have contributed to your success in client presentations?